Thursday, August 19, 2010

no such thing as good cancer

Paid one last visit to the beach and summer vacation last weekend before returning to the realities of the next school year. Had a great time with girlfriends and was treated to a glimpse of the meteor shower on a midnight beach walk just by luck because I didn't know it was happening. Half a dozen shooting stars in half an hour, that's more than I've seen in a lifetime.
My mom's node was confirmed to be melanoma. Her oncologist referred her to an even more specialized oncologist at Miami's Mt. Sinai, so next week she'll find out more. She's seemed rather determined that whatever the plan, it will not ruin her upcoming trip with my dad to see family and old friends.
My PET scan was negative. I was a bit confused by that since at least one of my nodes was positive on biopsy. 2 possible explanations given are 1) nodes < or = 1cm don't show up and 2) more aggressive cancer cells have higher metabolism and show up brighter, so I guess those are both good things. Next step then is probably more surgery, but a second opinion, or more like an overview from M.D. Anderson might come first.
to be continued because I had typed much more, thought I saved it, but much of it disappeared when I tried to publish.

No comments: