Monday, July 12, 2010

Not the News I was hoping for...


Last week I mentioned an upcoming ultrasound of my neck. Unfortunately there were a couple suspicious nodes, that if positive, suggest persistent disease. The endocrinologist seemed pretty certain that those nodes are likely the source of my elevated thyroglobulin (TG) , a level that should be heading down toward zero if the surgery and radioactive iodide were successful. The next step is therefore having a needle biopsy (FNAB = fine needle aspiration biopsy ) to get a sample and test to see if any cancer in it. If it's positive, there will be more surgery in my future. If negative, I guess I'll be having some kind of scan to see where else the source might be hiding.


I feel almost like I'm starting all over again. It was July last year that I had the first surgery, an open biopsy, that diagnosed the cancer in the first place. I never saw the movie Groundhog Day, but I'm feeling like a Groundhog Year. I'm hoping for better outcome the second time around.


Wednesday is the needle biopsy, then I'm sure it will be a couple more days before the pathology is back. Time is moving really slowly right now.

No comments: