Wednesday, June 16, 2010

One year


It's been a year now since I discovered the lump in my neck that turned out to be Thyroid Cancer. I'm happy to say that I generally feel fine. I haven't had the problems managing my synthroid (thyroid hormone) that many in my shoes have and I am thankful for that. I have earned 2 scars on my neck, one short on the side of the biopsy and the other long across the front of my neck and up the same side as the biopsy. I am also thankful for the good genes that allowed these to heal so nicely. I dealt with radioactive iodide treatment and temporary seclusion from my children (and patients) that went along with that.

Now I deal with background concern of whether this cancer is completely gone or not. It is not an overwhelming worry, but it is always there like a dripping faucet I've become used to. Most of the time I don't really notice it, but if it's really quiet and I'm not occupied by something else, I hear it. As I said, I'm feeling fine, but recent lab tests showed my thyroglobulin (Tg) went up ever so slightly since last time when it should have gone down. Now I have another ultrasound in my future. I try not to think much past that, so I'll try to keep occupied.

On the very positive side, my mother and father who I previously reported had breast and prostate cancers respectively, are doing very well. They both finished treatments over a year ago have been back into the swing of things for a while now.

I'll try to check in after the ultrasound with an update.

No comments: